Motorised vehicles (including motorcycles) pay £1 to cross the bridge, all of which goes towards its maintenance and upkeep. There is no charge for pedestrians, cyclists or horse riders crossing the bridge.
Just as the bridge spans Avon Gorge, joining Bristol and North Somerset, the history of Clifton Suspension Bridge spans three centuries. With around 90% of its original ironwork still in operation, maintenance work requires the utmost care in replacing parts like for like. With no funding from national or local government, Clifton Suspension Bridge is a charity that continues to be supported entirely by its users, so thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the Clifton Suspension Bridge toll?
- Motorised vehicles (including motorcycles) pay £1. There is no charge for pedestrians, cyclists or horse riders.
- If you would like to ride across the bridge, please follow the cycle lane signs which will direct you around the toll barriers and back onto the roadway. You must dismount if you wish to cross using the pedestrian footway.
Can I buy a Crossing Card?
- Yes. You can buy a Crossing Card or top up your Crossing Card on this site.
How do I pay at the barriers?
- You can pay by cash or card (contactless only).
- The following coins are accepted – £2, £1, 50p, 20p and 10p only.
- No change or receipts are given.
What if I don’t have contactless?
- You can pay by Chip & PIN at the Toll Houses at either side of the bridge. Please park on the approach to the Toll Houses and pay.
Is there a weight or height limit?
- The bridge has a weight limit of 4 tons gross weight or 2.5 tons axle weight.
- There is a weighbridge in the road on both approaches to the bridge. If your vehicle is too heavy the barriers will lock, preventing you from crossing.
- The toll barriers can accommodate a maximum vehicle width of 2.4 metres.
- There is no height restriction.
When is Clifton Suspension Bridge closed?
If you regularly use the bridge, having a crossing card could make your commute cheaper and quicker. The more crossings purchased, the cheaper it becomes!
Please note that due to technical difficulties there is currently a delay in updating crossing cards. We apologise and are working hard to remedy this as soon as we can. Thank you.