There are no current opportunities.
The Visitor Centre, based on the Leigh Woods side of the bridge, provides visitors and tourists from all over the world an opportunity to learn about our history. The Centre is run by a team of dedicated volunteers who run the Front of House, guide tours and deliver education workshops. Volunteers share the amazing history of the bridge, explain how it is maintained and tell the stories of those who have used it over the years. They also make sales from the shop, help with stocktaking and contribute new ideas to the running of the Centre. By joining our volunteer family you’ll learn new skills, meet people from all over the world and attend our social events in amazing Bristol venues.
Volunteers receive an induction and on-the-job training as well as participating in events designed to provide more information in areas of interest such as local history and civil engineering.
To read more about volunteering at the bridge, check out our #volunteers tag If you’re interested in joining the team, please download our application form in the sidebar and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Volunteering Opportunities:
- We are looking for Front of House Volunteers to help us run our Visitor Centre throughout the week and on weekends.
- We are looking for History Handling Volunteers in our new Clifton Hub.
- We are looking for Volunteer Guides to help with public and private tours.
If you are undertaking a PGCE or an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in History, Museum Studies, Archives/Records Management or Tourism we may be able to offer you an unpaid placement opportunity. We’ll work with you to set tasks and challenges that will help you meet your goals whilst experiencing working behind-the-scenes in our busy Visitor Centre. We’re also happy to facilitate students studying English as a Foreign Language via your Language School or placement co-ordinator.
Depending on availability we are able to offer:
- Part time, short term placements working with the Visitor Services team on an assigned project
- One day a week (to suit your lecture timetable) helping out as an office assistant
- Volunteering Opportunities as a member of our Front of House team, tour guide or ‘Explainer’
- Volunteering hours toward a project goal such as Duke of Edinburgh or Arts Award
- Internship placements for externally funded schemes
Schools Work Experience
The Visitor Services team are able to offer a limited number of work experience placements for secondary school pupils each year. Pupils will be working in a customer-facing role, engaging with the public, aiding tour groups and handling shop stock and money. The week may also involve some behind-the-scenes work with objects from the collection and representing the Trust at meetings with external partners. We are able to tailor placements to suit the needs of individuals based on the current projects being undertaken.