Illuminations have always played a significant role in the enjoyment of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. As part of the opening ceremony on 8th December 1864, the bridge was illuminated using state of the art electric lighting, limelight and magnesium lighting. Unfortunately, the wind was very strong and repeatedly extinguished the magnesium flares to the disappointment of the crowds!
Join Archivist Dr Hannah Little in an exploration of the history of the Bridge’s illuminations from 1864 to the present. From fireworks to lightbulbs to state of the art LEDs, the bridge lighting has always been innovative – but how was it installed, how well did it work, and why were pigeons such a problem?