Sorry! The vaults are now closed for the winter. Tickets will go on sale in February 2024: scroll to the bottom of this page and subscribe to our e-newsletter to be notified when they become available.
When construction of the Clifton Suspension Bridge began in 1831, the eyes of the world were on 23-year-old Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his bold plan to build the highest and longest bridge in the world. Many of the bridge’s secrets, like the vaulted chambers sealed inside the abutment, were lost when Brunel died.
Join our knowledgeable Volunteer Guides on a one-hour historical tour through two of our 12 vaulted chambers. The tour will begin on the abutment above, but once you’ve climbed inside, your guide will share some of the most interesting features and explain why it took until 2002 for the Clifton Suspension Bridge vaults to be rediscovered.
Don a hard hat, descend into the vaults and take a look for yourself.
General Admission 7+ £15.
Tickets are released throughout the Summer season.
Hard Hat Tour Restrictions:
Please ensure that all members of your group are aware of the following restrictions. For safety reasons, we may not be able to allow members of your party to access the vaults if they have not complied with the following:
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels, flip-flops or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so.
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
Underground Tour Access Guide
Access Guide 2022PDF File: 1.1 MB