Guided tours of the bridge (45 minutes – 1 hour)
- Available at a discounted rate for group tour operators
- Themed to suit the interests of your group and ranging from basic introduction to the bridge and its history to scientific tours for Engineers
- Available in English and French or with German translation
- Add an extra 30 minutes if your group would like to explore the Visitor Centre (free entry for groups of 15 or fewer, £1 per person for groups of 15 or more)
Photo Opportunity (15 minutes stop)
- If you’re on a tight timescale, a 15 minute stop will allow your group to disembark and take photographs of the spectacular views across the Avon Gorge and the city of Bristol
- Away from the bridge, there are lots of places to eat and drink in Clifton Village.
- The River Avon is a tidal river. For the best photo opportunities, check when high tide will be or find out more about expected conditions on the day.
Self Guided (1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours)
- Bridge open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Visitor Centre (Leigh Woods) open 10am – 5pm, 7 days a week. A small charge is made for pre-booked groups. Enjoy our exhibition, a small shop and toilet facilities.
- We recommend the views from the top of Observatory Hill (near Clifton Observatory) and Sion Hill (near the Avon Gorge Hotel). Both are accessed via paved footpaths (sloped, without steps).
Illuminations (15 minute stop)
- The Bridge is illuminated every night between dusk and midnight
- It is possible to view the illuminations from the bridge itself and from the nearby viewpoints
- Plan a route along the Portway (A4) or along Brunel Way (the A3029 flyover) to give your group a great view from the comfort of the coach!
Stay for longer (half a day)
Stop for longer and enjoy the illuminations in style: book a meal or drink on the terrace of the White Lion Bar at the Avon Gorge Hotel
Nearby attractions include:
- Clifton Observatory (Camera Obscura and Giant’s Cave)
- Rocks Railway (Underground funicular railway – enquire in advance)
- Ashton Court Estate (Deer park, mountain bike trails, bike hire, golf course and frisbee golf)
- Leigh Woods (Ancient woodland with Iron Age Hillfort)
- Clifton and Durdham Downs (Green space with plenty of wildflowers)
- Clifton Village (Eat, drink, visit the first Victorian Arcade and enjoy boutique shopping)